Sunday, September 7, 2014

Thoughts on the Suburbs


It's been four months since we left the city and landed back in suburbia. Overall, we're extremely happy and the kiddos love it here. Literally being able to just go outside and play without packing up the stroller is a life changer, especially since the baby arrived. We've really lucked out with our housing situation and the ranch has worked out better than ever expected. 

Some of my observations:
  • Way more nature. Spiders, skunks, squirrels galore.
  • Old people shopping and moving at their own slow pace.  Especially Maggie who I see everywhere and she constantly comments to me, "You must be Catholic with all those kids!"
  • Friendly strangers who always ask A.) whether you live in Oak Park or River Forest and B.) how far apart the kids are in age.
  • Yard work is no joke and never-ending.
  • Garbage is a pain with rules and stickers.  I miss just putting anything out in the city alley and it being hauled away by bums or the garbage men.
  • The take-out and restaurant options are just okay.  Still waiting to find something delicious that I love.  Definitely missing the city when it comes to food.
It's clear that we're meant to be suburban and I'm okay with that. Just seeing my two littles riding their bikes around the neighborhood, making friends, and starting school this week confirms to me that we did the right thing by moving. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter