Saturday, September 3, 2016

Big Day at the Big House

Whether the kids realized it or not, they experienced an incredible "first" today. Along with Michael Jordan and Charles Woodson, Olivia, Graham and Quinn went to the season opener for the University of Michigan football team against Hawaii in Ann Arbor. On the way there, Liv declared, "I would rather be bobbing for apples." Hence, we didn't exactly know how this was going to go with a 6, 4, and 2 year old sitting in seats valued at more than they deserved in the largest crowd in college football.
All three were totally mesmerized when the band marched out onto the field in the M shape, followed shortly after the Michigan team taking the field and then a fly over by two jets. I felt all sorts of emotions-- my three sweet babies experiencing one of my favorite memories from my own college experience. I've got to admit, I got a little choked up. It was a moment that I will remember, even if they don't. From then on, they were more engaged than I expected watching the game, got a hang of the cheers and became Michigan fans before my eyes. At the end, Liv declared she wants to go to Michigan for college.  Success!
(This would be our first family selfie ever- fail)
We made it through halftime when the score was 35-0, so we didn't feel as bad leaving. Good job my little wolverines! Great day for the Elsener Five. While this won't be an annual event quite yet due to their ages, we'll be back Ann Arbor.  Go Blue! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter