Thursday, June 29, 2017

Mourning

Let's just say that telling the kids that Penny died on Tuesday morning was not my favorite moment. It came so out of the blue for them because she had been fine just the night before when they went to bed.  Graham was the first to say anything and asked, "What are we going to put where Penny's bed used to be?" but didn't notice she wasn't here.  Once Livie woke up, I told them together that Penny was gone and had gone to heaven overnight.  That she got sick and Daddy took her to the vet, but there wasn't anything they could do. O and G immediately burst into tears and it probably didn't help that I was crying too. But overall they took it very well.  Lots of questions about if I cried and if I cried like when my dad died.  And their immediate question was if we would get a new puppy (slow down guys, give Mom and Dad some time here!) And Quinn lacked some sensitivity as for the rest of the day he ran around the house yelling, "Penny is dead!  Penny is dead! We are getting a puppy!"
But our sweet girl Olivia did a great job of processing the sad news throughout the day. She started by putting death notices on everyone's bedroom doors that said, " 2017 June 28 Penny Die"  and cute drawings of her that said, "I love Penny." Then she made a detailed drawing, where please note that everyone in the family looks like the are praying, but actually holding dog bones. 
Livie then made rainbow loom bracelets for everyone in the family to "honor" Penny where the main color was yellow like her fur.  We also decided that we want to make a photo book of all the pictures we have of Penny's life to remember her, so we will work on that at the lake this long weekend.  And she capped off the day with a painting of "Super P." I was very proud of her and how well she handled an adult situation.  
Graham seemed to do well too and multiple times through the day came to get a hug and to tell me that "I am really going to miss Penny." I feel ya bud.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter